Continuation of Your Benefits after leaving your Job

Feb 04, 2013

There is a great deal of uncertainly  as we move through our employment careers. In the event that your group coverage ends, you should be aware that options exist to continue coverage for life insurance, long-term disability (LTD), health and dental insurance are available under the terms of your employer sponsored benefit plan.

Most Canadian insurance companies will give you an opportunity  to convert your existing group life coverage to an individual policy as long as the application is made within 31 days after the group insurance terminates and application is made before your 65th birthday.  The coverage can be converted without evidence of insurability and the life insurance amount will vary from one insurance carrier to another.

For  long term disability (LTD), you have a longer period of time to apply for the conversion to an individual policy: 6 months from the last date of employment.  The pricing for the life insurance and LTD policies will be based on your current age, gender and your smoking status at the time of conversion.

In addition to the life insurance and LTD conversions, plan members have the opportunity to continue health and dental coverage without interruption of coverage.  Conversion is available from any recognizable Canadian group benefits plan and usually application must be completed within 60 days of group coverage ending.  You must  have been covered for at least six months under your  group plan to be eligible for conversion and you are eligible without needing to provide  any type of medical history.

Even though your employment status may change over your career, you can be assured that there are options to keep your health benefits in place for you and your family’s  financial security.

blog rss subscribe button


Jump to:

Place content block here for staff contact info
Place content block here for social media links


Guaranteed Standard Issue

By Shane Hohlweg on October 15, 2012


Retirement – How much is enough?

By Shane Hohlweg on August 26, 2013



Place content block here. Add accent and heading in editor.


Learn how Shane can help with your group benefits.

Phone 604.714.4449, email or send a message.

Message for Shane